On the very first two days of March 2019, both local and international wine enthusiasts, top businessmen, entrepreneurs and well-known socialites gathered to raise funds for a remarkably good cause. This elite gathering is better known as The Cape Wine Auction and is internationally regarded as one of the most prestigious events on the annual social calendar. This year was no exception!
The grand total raised to date is a magnificent R86 million, and these funds are used to continuously help aid education in the South African winelands, by supporting just under 20 different charity beneficiaries.
Guests enjoyed a culinary feast, prepared by some of South Africa’s top gastronomic experts, as well as a phenomenal selection of South Africa’s finest wines. All the while bidding on the spectacular selection of lots available on both the Friday evening, at the fabulous Norval Foundation, and Saturday at the picturesque, Buitenverwachting Estate, located in the famed Constantia Valley.
This year, De Toren Private Cellar in an exclusive partnership with esteemed Scottish Distillery, Springbank and prestigious French Champagne House, Henriot, offered a lot for two, including once-in-a-lifetime experiences, wines and whiskies, unobtainable to the general public. A lot of absolute leisure – all for a very good cause. The proud owners of this lot, who big heartedly contributed to this exceptional cause, are Mr & Ms Niemand.
We share an overview of The 2019 Cape Wine Auction lot by De Toren, Springbank & Henriot…
A glorious, cross-country bucket list tour in addition to some of the world’s finest wine & whisky collections, nowhere else available in the world. The summary of this lavish lot:
- The only 2 magnums (1.5L) ever produced of Book XVII & The Black Lion’s highly reputable 2015 vintage, respectively awarded the honorary titles of Wine Enthusiast’s Highest Ever Rated SA Wine and Highest Ever Rated SA Shiraz.
- The very last 4 magnums (1.5L) of the 5-Star Platter’s awarded wine, De Toren Fusion V 2009 & De Toren Z 2009 vintage.
- A spectacular magnum (1.5L) of the world-class Henriot Champagne.
- The very last 2 available bottles of the special edition of Springbank Longrow Red Single Malt Whisky – respectively matured in De Toren’s Cabernet Franc and Malbec barrels.
- A private tour, tasting & meeting for two with award-winning Cellar Master, Laurent Fresnet at the prestigious French Champagne House, Henriot.
- An exclusive tour & vintage wine tasting for guests and friends to appreciate De Toren Private Cellar’s renowned Bordeaux-style wines, hosted by Winemaker, Charles Williams.
- Two tickets to either the May 2019 or 2020 three-day Campbeltown Malts Festival, inclusive of these three nights’ accommodation, a private Springbank distillery visit & tasting by the master distiller, two tickets to the Springbank Distillery dinner, as well as two invites to the headline masterclasses at Campbeltown’s most renowned distilleries.
It’s an incredible privilege to be part of this elite function and to join forces in making dreams come true! A heartfelt thanks to each and every one who helped in supporting us, to make a difference in our community.